TAXI BILL OF RIGHTS
The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure has consulted extensively with the Metro Vancouver taxi industry and other key stakeholders to develop a Taxi Bill of Rights. The Bill is a statement of principles, outlining expectations of both taxi drivers and passengers. The purpose of the Taxi Bill of Rights is to improve taxi service in Metro Vancouver.
To support the Taxi Bill of Rights, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure has partnered with the Consumer Protection BC to establish telephone and web-based services where feedback regarding Metro Vancouver taxi services can be directed. The Consumer Protection BC will pass compliments on to the company and driver and either address concerns directly or refer people to the appropriate agency for complaint investigation and resolution. To provide feedback or make a complaint about a trip refusal or any other item on the Taxi Bill of Rights, visit the comments or concerns page. If you are unsure if you have sufficient grounds to make a complaint, visit our information for passengers page.
This site also has information for taxi drivers, the background of the Taxi Bill of Rights, and links to other useful sources of information about the taxi industry in BC and Metro Vancouver.
As a Taxi Passenger you have the right to:
- Be picked up and transported to your stated destination by any available on duty taxi driver
- Pay the posted rate by cash, or accepted credit card or TaxiSaver voucher
- A courteous driver who provides assistance, if requested
- Travel with an assistance dog or portable mobility aid
- A taxi that is clean, smoke free and in good repair
- Direct the route, or expect the most economical route
- A quiet atmosphere, upon request
- A detailed receipt, when requested
As a Taxi Driver you must obey all laws and have the right to refuse to transport a passenger:
- To avoid contravening a law or condition of licence
- To protect your, or any passenger’s, health or safety
- If the passenger is acting in an offensive manner
- If the passenger refuses to provide a deposit, if requested